How To Start A Profitable Lifestyle Blog
Blogging evolved so much that thousands of bloggers have successfully converted their fun journals to a profitable money-making tool. Currently, more bloggers blog to make money than to keep fun diaries.
I treated my lifestyle blog as a simple ranting ground up until 2018 when I made my first $50. I realised the importance of focusing more on growing my blog, a step that brought better earning opportunities. Now, I have series of plans; all for the growth of my website. The possibility of making money from my blog encouraged me to improve as a blogger.
I get series of earning opportunities for my blog since I made blogging more than just a hobby. I wouldn’t claim to have an amazing income report, but I know my blog has caused me to discover better earning opportunities and helped me meet awesome people.
The guide below will help you start a lifestyle blog; one that’s more than just an online journal.
HOW TO START A PROFITABLE LIFESTYLE BLOG?
Many posts on the internet offer guides to starting, growing and making money from a blog. But then, your need is specific. You want to start a lifestyle blog and desire a genuine guide to setting up a profitable one. In this post, I will guide you to create a money making lifestyle blog in less than 1 week, with easy to follow steps.
WHAT IS A LIFESTYLE BLOG?
Simply put; A lifestyle blog is an online space to write about your life and everything surrounding it. You create content inspired from your personal interests, daily activities and thoughts. Our life has different angles, you can write about one or all of it in general. Some bloggers focus on specific aspect of their lives like Beauty, college life, family, personal health, cooking, fashion and much more.
The lifestyle niche as a whole is so broad that you can choose a specific area and not run out of blog topic ideas. Forget about entertainment and gossip, blogging in lifestyle is the real deal!
WHY START A LIFESTYLE BLOG?
You just read or rather glanced through the definition of a lifestyle blog. Many beautiful reasons makes people want to start blogging. One of which is obviously “THE MONEY INVOLVED”. Many bloggers make 6 figures by just blogging. I mean that could be you too. Blogging is a goldmine, but most people rush into it without prior knowledge!
Apparently, you can make a lot from blogging but I have to be truthful with you. It’s not as easy as it seems. Blogging is not a get rich quick scheme. It’s definitely not as easy as it used to be few years ago. You need to work hard, be patient, and of course stay consistent. It pays, it sure does, but don’t expect the millions after a month of diligence.
In all, I must remind you: blogging has so many potentials and is open to anyone.
Start Your Lifestyle Blog in Easy Steps
One thing you might want to do while you anticipate setting up your own blog is checking out other lifestyle blogs and websites. Get motivated, read articles and learn from other bloggers. This step can help you process ways to stand out when you begin your own blog. If you ever run into trouble while setting up your blog, drop me a few lines. I’m so eager to help you set up your blog.
Now that you have gotten a good reason to start your blog, you should sit back and make some important decisions that will affect the growth of your blog like; sub-niche, blog name and blogging platform that will best fit your lifestyle blog.
STEP 1: CHOOSE YOUR BLOG TOPIC
I always tell anyone new to blogging to only write about what interests them. I made a lot of mistakes in the past, and would not want anyone to experience similar phase of regrets. It’s important that you blog about what you like because it makes everything fun and easy.
You’ll easily lose interest if you force yourself on a niche. You’ll probably do that for the money. When it’s not coming, there is high tendency of giving up. You should choose a specific sub-niche regardless of all areas you intend exploring.
It is highly advisable that you pick a specific topic area that your blog will revolve around most importantly. There are lots of sub-niches to choose in the lifestyle field. Some are; DIY hacks, beauty and makeup, self-help, etc. Your skill or expertise might make a good sub-niche. Look within yourself, what are you good at? Cooking (food blogger), reading (book blogger).
STEP 2: CHOOSE A BLOG/DOMAIN NAME (URL)
After choosing your niche, the next thing you should work on, is choosing your blog and domain name. This will be your website’s address (like mine, blogtrovert.com). When brainstorming for a blog name, you should have four things in mind;
- Choose a name that is simple and easy to spell
- Make it as short as possible. It will be easier for People to remember.
- Ensure it is not difficult to remember
- Lastly, it should have a connection with what you intend blogging about.
Since choosing a blog name can be a bit overwhelming, you may want to check out my guide on how to choose the perfect blog name
STEP 3: CHOOSE A BLOGGING PLATFORM
On a normal day, I will scream, WordPress! But I know that not everyone has what it takes to host their website on WordPress (Not wordpress.com). I will suggest blogger to anyone not financially capable for this option. This post will be based on WordPress, as I strongly recommend it for anyone looking to make blogging more than just a hobby.
Why I Love WordPress
In 2017, I moved my blog to WordPress and the experience since then has been worth every penny spent. First, I love the fact that my audience can communicate with me easily via my comment box with challenges. WordPress has tons of free themes and plugins to make everything easier for you that you don’t need to have any knowledge in coding.
STEP 4: CHOOSE A HOSTING PROVIDER
It’s time to get your domain and hosting for your lifestyle blog. I am currently a Namecheap affiliate because I use and definitely recommend them due to their incredibly budget friendly prices and awesome 24/7 customer support. You will get up to %50 off your first year with Namecheap. Their one-click WordPress install makes it amazingly easy for people starting new blogs.
Procedures for Buying a Hosting Plan from Namecheap
- First, navigate to namecheap.com and decide on which hosting plan to choose
- Once you’ve made up your mind on the plan to pick, click on “Add to Cart”.
- You will be taken to a page where you are supposed to select a domain to use with Namecheap. Namecheap offers a free .website domain; but, you know, it’s not what an average individual need.
- Choose to buy a domain by clicking ‘Buy a New domain’ or “Use a domain I own from another registrar” if you bought it already (you will need to change your domain DNS to ns1.namecheaphosting.com and ns2.namecheaphosting.com first).
- Once you’ve finalized your domain selection, click on “Continue”.
- In the next page, review your cart carefully and click on“Confirm Order”.
- Create an account (or login), then choose your payment method
- Setup your contact address and billing address.
- Setting your purchase to automatic renewing might be a good idea, or not.
- Once you are done with the above, click on “Continue”.
- In the next page, review your order and click on “Pay Now”.
Enter Your Hosting Control Panel
Once payment is complete, you will receive a verification link in the email address you used to register your account. Don’t forget to verify your account.
You will recieve a message containing your hosting details. These includes,
- A link to your cPanel account.
- Your cPanel Username and Password.
- And more.
Please take note of the above. To be on a safer side, print the email or save it online securely. You may need the information in the future. Everything you need to access your control panel is in the message.
To begin, visit your cPanel account using the link provided in the hosting details sent to you and login with the username and password (This were also sent to you).
Now that you have logged in, you should be in your control Panel. This is where all the technical matters will take place for your website. Please handle your login details with utmost care. Your cPanel will look like this:
STEP 5: Set Up SSL
It’s important that your blog goes live securely with a premium SSL certificate
A secured website has become necessary for visitors’ and owner’s safety. Your site should run on HTTPS, so you definitely need an SSL certificate. Fortunately, Namecheap offers a free SSL certificate for the first year on any domain they add.
Follow the Procedures Below to Activate HTTPS on Your Blog.
If you are yet to point your domain to Namecheap, do so now in your domain registrar.
Once you’ve logged into your Namecheap cPanel, navigate to “Exclusive for Namecheap Customers” and click on NAMECHEAP SSL.
In the next page, you will see a list of domains eligible for free SSL from Namecheap. Simply click on Install now. Once you have been navigated to the next page; input the email address with which you would like to receive your installation details, then click on “Install Certificate”.
Certificate is installed, you are done, and you have successfully activated HTTPs for your domain.
Note: SSL is only free for the first year, you will be charged $8.88 by Namecheap for the SSL renewal annually.
STEP 6: Install WordPress
At this stage you’ve bought, activated your hosting plan from Namecheap and installed SSL in your domain. It is time to install WordPress. Installing WordPress is actually an easy task, thanks to softaculous.
In your cPanel, simply navigate to; “Softaculous App Installer” click to drop and select WordPress (you should see the large WordPress icon).
In the next page, be sure you choose to install WordPress following the simply guide from Softaculous. Click on “Install Now”.
Add Your Site Information With the Procedures Below:
- Choose Protocol; I strongly advise you choose HTTPs, but select it only if your domain has an SSL certificate. Tutorial for installing SSL certificate is above..
- Choose Domain; Ensure you select the domain you want to install WordPress in.
- In Directory; please ignore the “In Directory Field” you obviously want WordPress installed on yoursite.com.
- Set Up Admin account; I’m sure you know what this means. By default, the admin username and password is “admin”. You should change this to a personalized username and a very strong password. Also, don’t forget to keep them safe. You need them to log into WordPress after this step.
- Pick an email you’ll like your WordPress installation details to be mailed to then click on “INSTALL”.
Okay! This wasn’t so bad! If you followed the steps above, you will have successfully installed WordPress on Namecheap.
Hassle free right?
Do you have questions?
STEP 7: FIND A THEME THAT YOU LIKE
Now that you have installed WordPress on your domain, it’s time to set up your blog. Choose a theme for your lifestyle blog.
First, login to your WordPress admin dashboard and navigate to “Appearance” >> “Themes” >> “Add New”. You will find hundreds of free WordPress themes in this page.
Although WordPress gives you a selection of free themes to pick from, I strongly recommend that you start up with a premium design. Premium themes often give you a sense of uniqueness. You can easily stand out from the crowd. There are many (WordPress) theme developers. I recommend modern developers like Restored316 Designs, Bluchic or Solopine. You can also browse some of my favourite feminine WordPress themes.
Please note: If you are opting for Restored316 WordPress themes, you will need the Genesis Framework.
I recommend that you settle for a premium theme as it gives you that uniqueness. You’ll also get quality support from the developer. Make your selections wisely. This post will guide you on choosing the right theme for a female audience.
STEP 8: DESIGN A LOGO FOR YOUR BLOG
Apart from beautifying your blog with a theme, you’ll need a logo to help build your brand and ensure your readers get to know you. You can use canva.com to create a simple logo for your blog. You can better still hire a designer.
Note that you can alter your theme and logo if they do not meet your need but do not to change your blog name and domain name as it will greatly affect your blog growth.
STEP 9: CREATE YOUR SOCIAL PROFILES
If you intend developing your blog in the best way, then you should have social profiles set up with your blog’s name. Create a page for your blog on
- Pinterest and other popular social media platforms.
STEP 10: INSTALL IMPORTANT PLUGINS
Plugins are important but not compulsory, they solve specific problems or/and provide essential functions. They help in the management and running of your blog. WordPress has tons of plugins to choose from. I will list a few that your WordPress blog needs.
- WP Security; This plugin helps protect your blog from hackers.
- Yoast SEO; This plugin is a must have as it helps you create SEO optimized posts.
- Akismet; This plugin blocks spam comments on your blog posts.
- Jetpack; A plugin that gives you real time statistics of visits on your blog.
To add a new plugin to your blog, simply navigate to “Plugins” >> “Add New”.
STEP 11: CREATE IMPORTANT PAGES
Pages are needed, they hold important and required information about and for your blog. Below are some necessary pages you should create.
About Page: Here you are expected to talk about yourself and your blog in general.
Contact Page: This page makes it easy for your readers to contact you. There are plugins to help you add a contact form to this page. I recommend contact Form 7
Disclosure Page: You should create this page if you intend monetizing your blog with affiliate links.
To create a new page, go to “Pages” >> “Add New”.
Check out the ‘Important Pages that Every WordPress Blog Should Have‘ BY Wpbeginner.
STEP 12: PUBLISHING YOUR FIRST POST
At this stage, I assume that you want to publish your first blog post.
First of all, delete the default welcome post automatically posted by the WordPress. Ensure you are logged in to your WordPress admin panel, then go to “Posts” >> “All Posts” and delete the default post. After that, click on “Add New” you will see a blank PAGE to create your first post.
Post Ideas for your new blog
Lastly, as a new blogger, you may experience a touch of the infamous writer’s block. In case you do not know what to write about, you can check out any of the posts below.
TIPS FOR BLOGGING SUCCESS
- Choose a niche you are passionate about. If you write about topics you like, you’ll improve as a blogger and possibly enjoy the bumpy ride.
- Consistency is key. I may have failed woefully at this in the past, but you have a chance not to fail also. Be consistent, don’t leave your blog in the dark for long.
- Avoid plagiarism at all cost. It can ruin your blogging career.
- Don’t settle for awful themes. Choose the best design for your blog. People love beautiful and attractive websites.
- Go social. At least to know your readers.
How To Monetize A Lifestyle Blog
- Sponsored content: You get paid to write or publish already written blog posts for another company on your blog. This is my major source of income at the moment.
- Sell Products: Many bloggers often sell their own products or services on their blogs. You can either sell digital products like ebooks, printables, or physical products like clothes, pieces of jewelry, etc.
- Google AdSense: Google AdSense is one of the most popular advertising networks. It allows you to monetize spaces on your blog. It’s easy to set up, all you need is approval to participate as a publisher.
- Offer freelance services: Get paid to write for third party websites or companies.
- Start a coaching business: If you can teach, then you probably should start a class on a skill or topic you know about that many others do not.
- Affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing is an amazing way to start making money from your lifestyle blog. Apparently, You are expected to refer potential buyers to websites and for each product or service sold, you earn a percentage.
Once you successfully set up your blog and publish your first post, don’t be scared to go full time into blogging. As earlier mentioned, with consistency in play, you will be able to enjoy what you’ve always wanted; working at Home as your Own Boss. Blogging presents us with so many untapped opportunities. Much the same as any business, it takes the correct knowledge, dexterity and consistency to scale through. So, whatever you’ve heard, blogging is more than just a hobby.