In this guide, we will teach you how to make money selling digital products online.
What are Digital Products?
Digital products are a great way to earn a living either on the side or full time.
They are created and delivered electronically. E-books, online courses, and software are all digital items you can create and sell from the comfort of your home.
Selling digital products is a great way to make money online because they are easy to produce and market.
How to get Digital Products to Sell?
The easiest and safest way to get a digital product to sell is to create it.
Creating digital products is easy. You can make them yourself with your smartphone, tablet or PC.
If you don’t trust your skills, employ the services of an expert or freelancers on platforms like Fiverr and Upwork. You don’t have to create your digital products yourself because it wouldn’t matter who creates what you sell, so long as it’s done right.
If you must create any digital product yourself, ensure you have the knowledge required to make a working and sellable product.
Where do you Sell Digital Products?
You can sell digital products in a variety of ways. The most common way is through an online store or marketplace. You can also sell them through your website or social media platforms, like Facebook and Instagram. Etsy, Creativemarket and Envato are all large marketplaces popular among digital creators who sell what they make..
The Benefits of Selling Digital Products
There are many benefits to selling digital products. One significant benefit is the ability to sell them from and to anywhere in the world.
Digital products are very easy to produce and share. You never have to worry about having an inventory, packaging products or shipping them out because you will do everything online and seamlessly.
Some more reasons to sell digital products include:
- There is an unending demand for digital products.
- Delivery is often instant with the right marketplace or e-commerce platform.
- You can sell them in a variety of ways, including online stores, marketplaces, and social media platforms.
- It is a great way to build an online presence.
- If done right, selling digital products can grow to become a full-time business.
What are the Challenges of Selling Digital Products?
Like other types of products, there are a few challenges to selling digital products. We have listed some below;
- Some products like website themes and templates require you to learn the related digital skill.
- You will need to stay relevant and create unique products in order to make sales and be successful.
- The digital product space is competitive and you will need to create a sound marketing strategy to ensure your potential customers see and purchase your products.
- You may violate other people’s copyright.
- People can steal your products and ideas.
How to Overcome the Challenges of Selling Digital Products
Every challenge has a working solution and in response to the challenges above, the following ideas can keep you above water when selling digital products.
- Do proper research and background check before creating a product for sale. If you don’t trust your creation skills, hire an expert.
- Learn about digital marketing or hire a marketing expert that will create an effective advertising campaign to promote your business and bring in new customers.
- Before purchasing any resource for your project, always read and understand the product’s license. Learn more about product licensing.
- To protect your products from plagiarists, you can use watermark for images and use a good file sharing system to prevent unauthorized downloads. Also, license your products.
What are the Legal Requirements for Selling Digital Products?
While there are no specific legal requirements, ensure you comply with any relevant copyright and intellectual property laws.
Only buy and use resources with a commercial use license. You cannot sell a product if part of it was created with resources reserved for personal use only. Whatever you do, make sure you understand product licenses and usage rights.
Create a concise terms and conditions page for your products so that your customers are aware of their rights and responsibilities.
How to Choose a Digital Product to Sell
When choosing a product to sell, it is important to think about what you enjoy doing and are passionate about or willing to learn.
Once you have identified a topic that interests you, research the different products that are available on the market.
There are a lot of digital products to choose from and you will need to be selective in order to find the right ones for your business.
Some digital products idea
- Apps – requires app development skills.
- Fonts – learn more about creating fonts
- Stock videos – requires videography skills
- Stock photos – requires photography skills.
- Illustrations – requires artistic skills.
- Online Courses
- Social media templates – requires graphic design skills
- eBooks and eBook templates
- Music and music beats
- Website themes and templates – requires web development skills.
- Digital planners, and more.
Steps to Create a Good Digital Product
You have found the product you want to sell, now it is time to create it! There are a few steps you will need to take to create a marketable product.
- Do some proper research so you know what others are creating and selling the most. Get inspired by already made products but DON’T COPY!
- Find the best tool for creating your dream product. Photoshop, Procreate, Medibang and Canva are suitable tools for creating templates and image based designs for sale.
- Canva is a great tool for creating social media templates, ebooks and other designs.
If you must use resources from other creators, ensure you buy or download only commercial use items. Avoid products made for personal use. Learn more about licensing.
Where to Sell Digital Products
There are many places to sell digital products.
Here are a few:
- Graphic designers can sell templates and design services on sites like Dribble and 99Designs.
- Etsy and creativemarket are a great marketplace to sell digital products.
- Amazon is a go-to website for most online shoppers, and it offers a good marketplace for digital products like eBooks and audiobooks.
- Google Play and Apple App Store enable app creators to showcase and sell phone apps.
- Themeforest and templatemonster is a great marketplace for selling custom designed themes and templates.
- Facebook groups are a great place to sell digital products and services.
- Twitter is also a great place to sell digital products.
- YouTube, though different, can bring good sales to your digital product if you put in the work.
- Udemy and Skillshare are popular for selling video based tutorials and courses.
- You can also sell your products on your personal eCommerce website. WordPress CMS and Shopify are the most popular e-commerce store providers. Some other recommended eCommerce providers include;
- selar.co, a great option for Nigerians and Africans.
Always take note of the marketplace and eCommerce providers fees.
We hope this guide has been helpful. Digital products are a great way to make money, and there are many ways to sell them. If you follow the tips in this guide, you will find success.
Thank you for reading!